- Title: Dear Earth…From Your Friends in Room 5
- Contributors: Luisa Uribe (Illustrator)
- Published by: HarperCollins
- Release Date: December 1, 2020
- Pages: 32
- ISBN13: 978-0062915320
- Buy the Book: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Face in a Book, IndieBound
What begins as a monthly exchange of ideas between Earth and Room 5 grows into a lasting friendship, a school club with a surprising president, and –hopefully– lifelong Earth-smart habits.
When the kids in Room 5 write to Earth asking what they can do to help save our planet, they are delighted to get a letter back. This beautiful picture book is a celebration of every child’s ability to connect with the environment and make a positive impact.
Young readers will learn about environmental conservation, along with simple things they can do to help care for the planet-like recycling and reducing energy consumption. There is even a reversible jacket cover that features a poster printed on the inside with twelve months of Earth Hero activities. These fun and interactive activities will encourage children to help protect our planet year-round.
FREE Resources & Lesson Plans
Lesson plans, resources, and more are available on Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT).
- Digital Google Slide Activities
- Friendly Letter Template
- Reading and Phonics Book Activities
- Seesaw: Dear Earth Choice Board
Downloadable DEAR EARTH letter template from Harper Collins and other free resources available on my Freebies for Teachers page.
- LitLinks by Patricia Newman features DEAR EARTH + #STEM letter writing activities for Ss of all ages.
- Vivian Kirkfield’s Perfect Picture Book Friday: DEAR EARTH: FROM YOUR FRIENDS IN ROOM 5
- Harper Collins Senior Designer Erica De Chavez shares insights into the creation of DEAR EARTH’s cover here.
“A well-thought-out presentation of an important environmental message.” — Kirkus
“This picture book is beautiful & important; let’s kickoff how to be an Earth Hero in January, and continue all year long!” - @LibrarianBookends
“I love the letters between Earth & Room 5 in Dear Earth… The illustrations are beautiful. My mind is racing with all of the things I can use this book for in the classroom! And how fun would it be to start an Earth Heroes Club with students?!?” - @Jenann4r, Ms. Rusin/ 2nd grade teacher
Awards & Recognition
Dilys Evans Founder Award-winning illustrator Luisa Uribe’s gorgeous art for DEAR EARTH was featured in the Society of Illustrators 2020 Original Art Show